Gajar Methi ki Sabzi
Gajar methi is an easy recipe from Punjab that uses pantry staples with seasonal vegetables. Great with paratha, roti or as a side. Make it with winter's fresh fenugreek!
Servings: 4 people
- 2 cups Gajar/Carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 cups Methi/fresh fenugreek washed, cleaned and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Sarson ka Tel/Mustard Oil or any cooking oil
- 2-3 cloves Lehsun/Garlic smashed, peeled and chopped
- 1 one inch piece Adrak/Ginger washed and chopped - optional ingredient
- 1/2 tsp Ajwain/Carom seeds
- 1/2 tsp Jeera/Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Methre/Fenugreek seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Haldi/Turmeric powder
- Mirch/Chili powder to taste
- 1/2 tsp Dhania/Coriander powder
- pinch or two Garam masala optional ingredient
- 1/2 Onion chopped, optional ingredient
Start with fresh, clean methi
First, trim methi. Cut off any all roots and hardy stems at the bottom. Then you can proceed in two ways: Pluck leaves and then wash them in water baths. To do this, make a pile of cleaned and plucked methi. Then begin the washing process. Or, wash trimmed methi and pluck leaves as you move the bunch from one water bath to next. See instructions in the post on water bath.
Smash, peel and chop garlic
Make the tadka for Gajar Methi
Put a kadhai or heavy bottomed frying pan on medium high heat. Once warm add oil to it. If using mustard oil, smoke it for a minute (see post for more details) then proceed to add all the seeds, chopped garlic and ginger (is using). If using onions, add them after sautéing the aromatics. Cook until translucent.
Add carrots to the tadka. Mix well and turn the heat to medium high. I added spices once carrots were in the kadhai. Alternatively, you could sauté spices ahead of adding carrots. Cook them until blooming on low heat – about a minute, then add carrots.
Cover and cook until done
Enjoy Gajar Methi with paratha and dahi!
Serve right away with freshly made whole wheat paratha or phulkas. Reheat and serve warm if using later. I enjoyed my batch of gajar methi with plain paratha and homemade yogurt.